Are you interested in a career as a fitness trainer? You might face pretty stiff competition for jobs in Colorado. You’ll make the most money in Connecticut. And growth in that job field is expected to be much faster than the average between 2020 and 2030.
Those are a few of the tidbits the U.S. government collects as it tracks the trends for thousands of job categories across the country — including fitness trainers and aerobics instructors. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics maintains detailed information on wages, employment trends and job responsibilities on its website.
Fitness trainers “instruct or coach groups or individuals in exercise activities,” according to the BLS description. They “demonstrate techniques and form, observe participants, and explain to them corrective measures necessary to improve their skills.” The data comes from two sources within the Bureau of Labor Statistics: the bureau’s regular entry on the field, updated with 2020 data; and its Occupational Outlook Handbook.
Here’s some notable statistics:
- While California had the most fitness trainers with 32,390, Colorado had the highest “density” of people working in the field, with 3.35 workers per thousand serving as fitness trainers.
- On average, trainers in Connecticut earned about $30.35 an hour, or $63,140 a year. The national average for wages is $21.95 an hour, or $45,650 annually.
- It’s estimated that jobs for fitness trainers will grow 39% between 2020 and 2030, which is much faster than the average.
Where did fitness trainers find work?
- 50% found jobs in fitness and recreational sports centers
- 18% are self employed workers
- 8% with civic and social organizations
- 8% work with state, local, and private educational services
- 4% work in government positions
Want to learn more about the overall job outlook for the field? Read our article, “Exercise Science Career Outlook.”
Concordia University – Chicago has been educating students for over 150 years and when you enroll in our online programs you earn the same campus quality degree. Ready to advance your career in health and fitness with a degree in Exercise Science? Contact one of our Admissions Advisorsto learn more or download our program guide now.
Request Program Information
Concordia University Chicago Master’s Program Ranks #1
Concordia University Chicago is once again recognized as a leader [...]
How to Become a Strength and Conditioning Coach
Strength and Conditioning Coach: Career Outlook, Salary, and Definition [...]